Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Question Spotting a side effect of Vitex???? (desperate!)

OK, I posted yesterday for "help from Vitex users" because since taking vitex for the last 8-9 weeks I haven't had a real af, just a little bit of spotting 2 weeks ago.

Well, shortly after my post lastnight, I started spotting AGAIN!! Like I say, it's more or less 2 weeks to the day since it started last time.

Do you think it's the Vitex causing this or what? My af's so far this year were 6 weeks, 5 weeks and 7 weeks so I don't have much to go off really.

I am ttc and obviously this is NOT helping. Should I stop the vitex?

PLEASE HELP ME!!!

BTW. Thanks to the lady who replied to my earlier post I know it's a slow working herb but I thnk it's odd that this is happening since starting the vitex when I was getting proper af's before (although still irregular)

Andrea.
    Andrea (29) Stuart (31)
    PCOS + Hypothyroid.

DS Jake 18/5/02 (Clomid/Met)
    1 m/c 28/4/04 (natural pregnancy)
    DS Joe 13/11/05 (Chinese Medicine)

Thanks

It is probably the vitex causing it. When your cysts rupture, they can cause light bleeding and/or spotting. Sometimes it can be very painful as well. This means that the vitex is working for you, regulating your hormones, or you could have been ovulating the first time and implanting the second time, have you been charting temps too? This will give you a more accurate reasoning for the spotting, if it is not due to cysts rupturing.
    Kenya(28) Rece(27)
    Hidden Content
    JJ(2) - 34.5 pounds and 2 ft 8 in
    Hidden Content
    Furbaby - Olie the 1 pound mini dobie
    TTC'd #1 for 5 yrs, TTCing #2 for 33months

TTC history since TTC#2
    11 m/c and 1 ectopic
    0/18/04 - New cycle - Happy Birthday to me!

Hidden Content
    Currently Taking
    Prenatals
    Evening Primrose Oil
    Baby Aspirin
    Vitamin A
    Folic Acid
    1700mg Metformin
    Robitussin
    Instead Cups
    Pre Seed
    Vitamin B-6
    Saw Palmetto
    False Unicorn Root
    Red Raspberry Leaf

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Thanks

Hi,

Thanks again for responding I am really getting my knickers in a twist with this

I charted my temps for a couple of months but HAD to stop because it was reaaly stressing me out with these long cycles.

However, I do monitor cp + cm and haven't had anything indicating ovulation for a good while now.

I was very interested at what you said about the cysts rupturing and the vitex regulating the hormones. Did you mean that the vitex helps get rid of the cysts?

When I spotted lastnight that was it, nothing more today. I just had af cramps, backache, a bit of a spot and then it was gone.

I really don't want to stop the vitex because it has helped with my mood swings, which have always been a MAJOR problem

Could you explain why the vitex causing spotting is an indication that it is helping balance the hormones?

Sorry to be a pain it's just that this has never happened to me before and I don't like the thought of stopping something which is helping me or taking something which is not

Any help is GREATLY appreciated.

TIA!

Andrea.
    Andrea (29) Stuart (31)
    PCOS + Hypothyroid.

Thanks

I was very interested at what you said about the cysts rupturing and the vitex regulating the hormones. Did you mean that the vitex helps get rid of the cysts?
    Yes, vitex, by regulating your hormones, can cause the larger cysts to rupture and the smaller ones to dissolve, since women with "normal" ranges of hormones do not have multiple cysts as we do, this makes sense to me.

Could you explain why the vitex causing spotting is an indication that it is helping balance the hormones?
    It is a clear indication that it is regulating hormones, because it has to release the bad things in your ovaries (the extra hormones and cysts) which can cause spotting and bleeding and pain. If you had no spotting, then I would be concerned that it is not working. There was a woman on the board that used vitex and expected to have a period but never did get one and only spotted a couple of times, and she took a test and found out that she had gotten pregnant.

I would not suggest stopping the vitex. For some women it can work quickly, and for cysters with more symptoms, it can take longer.
    Kenya(28) Rece(27)
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

TTC history since TTC#2
    11 m/c and 1 ectopic

Hidden Content
    Currently Taking
    Prenatals
    Evening Primrose Oil
    Baby Aspirin
    Vitamin A
    Folic Acid
    1700mg Metformin
    Robitussin
    Instead Cups
    Pre Seed
    Vitamin B-6
    Saw Palmetto
    False Unicorn Root
    Red Raspberry Leaf

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Thanks

Thankyou SO much for helping me out with this. I usually grasp this stuff quite easily but my body is confusing me at the moment!

I have gone from having NO periods whatsoever and needing Clomid to conceive my ds to having a few periods that are irregular but still managing to conceive naturally but m/c and now this slight spotting on and off!

I 'think' i kind of understand now. I do feel OK. Like I say, my moods swings have 'virtually' disappeared so that HAS to be a good sign. I just thought I would have had a 'proper' af by now as it is nearly 9 weeks since the last one.

Thanks ever so much again for taking the time to help me.

Andrea.
    Andrea (29) Stuart (31)
    PCOS + Hypothyroid.

Thanks

Andrea, if I were you, I would try adding NPC to the vitex, that will probably help you tons and a whole lot faster.
    Kenya(28) Rece(27)
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

TTC history since TTC#2
    11 m/c and 1 ectopic

Hidden Content
    Currently Taking
    Prenatals
    Evening Primrose Oil
    Baby Aspirin
    Vitamin A
    Folic Acid
    1700mg Metformin
    Robitussin
    Instead Cups
    Pre Seed
    Vitamin B-6
    Saw Palmetto
    False Unicorn Root
    Red Raspberry Leaf

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Thanks

Thanks again. I know this has been asked a hundred million times before but how do you use the NPC again

I'm OK with all the medical stuff, just not the herbal stuff

I think I have looked for NPC cream in 'Holland & Barrett' which is a health store over here and I couldn't find it. Isn't it also called Wild Yam or something?

I take it the NPC will bring me af on a regular basis and the vitex MAY make me ovulate???

Thanks so much again for your help. Can't believe I actually WANT af to come.

Andrea.
    Andrea (29) Stuart (31)
    PCOS + Hypothyroid.

Thanks

You are learning my little grasshopper The NPC will help with the AF and regulating the hormones (it alone can make you O), and the vitex will be getting a boost from the NPC and will make you ovulate. Try this website, this is where I got mine from and it is good and cheap! I paid like $25 for 3 jars, and most places, its $25 for one jar!!! progesterone cream
    Once you get it, use 1/4 teaspoon 3X (60mg)daily for 12 days (if you have not gotten a regular AF), this is to bring on AF. Then take your vitex all the next cycle (you may want to try soy on cd 3-7, 4-8, or 5-9) CHART YOUR TEMPS, once you are three dpo start using the progesterone cream again 1/4 tsp 2X (40 mg)daily for 12 days, on your 12th day, take a hpt to see if you are pregnant, if you are, then keep using the cream, if you are not pregnant then you stop the use and AF will come. But never stop it until you have been on it for at least 12 days!

Anything else? Oh yeah, soy, I bought capsules 60 capsules at 300mg each for $9.00 ($14 after shipping), got them at Vitaglo

I take 1 capsule daily of the soy. Oh yeah, drink LOTS of water or take alfalfa to suppliment for the drying CM...you may not need to though, use your first cycle as a test cycle before you go out and buy alfalfa. watch your CM closely, if you need more water and that works, then that is great, if not, go get some alfalfa - any form of it works.

cd 3-7 makes more follicles, while cd 5-9 makes bigger follicles, that is why some women do cd 4-8.

Am I helping you at all?
    Kenya(28) Rece(27)
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

TTC history since TTC#2
    11 m/c and 1 ectopic

Hidden Content
    Currently Taking
    Prenatals
    Evening Primrose Oil
    Baby Aspirin
    Vitamin A
    Folic Acid
    1700mg Metformin
    Robitussin
    Instead Cups
    Pre Seed
    Vitamin B-6
    Saw Palmetto
    False Unicorn Root
    Red Raspberry Leaf

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Thanks

Default Yes, you are helping me LOTS!!!!.....

.....but just a few more questions :o

I know this is going to sound silly but I don't like buying stuff over the internet. It's just not something I've ever got into. So, I wondered if there was another name for the NPC or something similar. I have heard of wild yam but not sure if that's right but I do know they sell it in my local health store. Any ideas??? If not, will just have to get it on the internet.

Another question is do I just continue the Vitex all the way through everything or do I stop it at any point (apart from pregnancy!)???

And one more question!!! Have you ever thought about using Royal Jelly? I was searching through some of the threads about it and I wondered if it's worth a try. Considering you are now my herbal 'expert' i wondered what you thought

One more thing, I did decide against the soy because I am hypothyroid. Now I know I'm probably overreacting because it's only taken in small doses but I just didn't want to risk anything as I have only just got my thyroid under control. Do you think I am just being silly?

I know I keep saying this but THANKS SO MUCH!!!

Andrea.
    Andrea (29) Stuart (31)
    PCOS + Hypothyroid.

Thanks

You ask many questions little grasshopper All good ones though...here we go with answers....

So, I wondered if there was another name for the NPC or something similar. I have heard of wild yam but not sure if that's right but I do know they sell it in my local health store. Any ideas???
    Ok, NPC is actually natual progersterone and some does have wild yam in it, but 100% wild yam is not the same thing as NPC. I have heard and read contradicting things on wild yam being subsituted for NPC, most people say it is not the same and that NPC is much better and works better than the wild yam. There have been studies done on the NPC where as I have yet to find one on Wild Yam.

~NEXT~

Another question is do I just continue the Vitex all the way through everything or do I stop it at any point (apart from pregnancy!)???
    I just noticed in your signature that you are taking 4 X 400mg of vitex. One a day is all that is needed, 2 at the most. 4 is the maximum dosage usually taken by menopausal women or women who have had a hysterectomy. But yes, you take it all cycle long with no breaks until you get that BFP HPT!!!

~NEXT~

Have you ever thought about using Royal Jelly? I was searching through some of the threads about it and I wondered if it's worth a try
    Well, royal jelly has very contradicting studies. I have not tried it because I am using so many other herbs. Royal Jelly from what I understand is more of a cleansing agent and most helpful in cases of endometriosis. It has many very very very good vitamins in it, but it is also LOADED in carbs. Which is not good for you if you have any form of IR. I will probably not use Royal Jelly though. I am fluffy enough

~NEXT~

I did decide against the soy because I am hypothyroid. Now I know I'm probably overreacting because it's only taken in small doses but I just didn't want to risk anything as I have only just got my thyroid under control. Do you think I am just being silly?
    You are probably being more cautious than you need to be. The soy will probably not affect your hypothyroidism. It is much more gentile and safe than clomid. I have suspected hypothyroidism, but never officially diagnosed with it. All I can say on this one, is to try it, it is such a small dose, plus, it is only taken for 5 days. I personally dont think it will do you any harm.

You are more than welcome. I have been doing some serious researching on hebs and natural PCOS remedies here lately. You know that there are also herbs to help in your hypothyroidism? Just do a search online for "hypothyroidism and herbs" and have a ball reaing the studies and stuff.
    Kenya(28) Rece(27)
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

TTC history since TTC#2
    11 m/c and 1 ectopic

Hidden Content
    Currently Taking
    Prenatals
    Evening Primrose Oil
    Baby Aspirin
    Vitamin A
    Folic Acid
    1700mg Metformin
    Robitussin
    Instead Cups
    Pre Seed
    Vitamin B-6
    Saw Palmetto
    False Unicorn Root
    Red Raspberry Leaf

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Thanks

OMG! I thought I was taking too much Vitex. i couldn't find anyone taking that dosage but then everyone takes different kinds too and mine is the dried stuff in the capsule.

Maybe I will try 2 a day then......oops! Do you think that high dosage will have caused me any problems (apart from in £££££££££)??? (and I had decided that THIS time I wouldn't ask ANY questions

I am definitely going to order the NPC off the internet where you said before and I MAY be brave enough to try the Soy but that's a whole load of new questions

I am SO grateful for all this info.

Andrea.
    Andrea (29) Stuart (31)
    PCOS + Hypothyroid.

Thanks

Yeah, my vitex is 300mg and I only take one and I have SEVERE PCOS. But no LH/FSH problems, and not IR. I have the high testosterone only, but way high - mine is almost as high as my DH:o . I would slow down alot on the vitex. That could explain why you are getting results so quickly with it, but no AF (HUMMM??)

Anyway, please do feel free to ask your soy questions. It is better to ask and know, then you can order your soy at the same time and not from all over the place like I did and get $15.00 worth of shipping, when you could have gotten only $5. I am taking capsules too. Remember 400mg is 400mg no matter what form it is in, I will get a website for you and post it here in a minute about vitex and how much to take.
    Kenya(28) Rece(27)
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

TTC history since TTC#2
    11 m/c and 1 ectopic

Hidden Content
    Currently Taking
    Prenatals
    Evening Primrose Oil
    Baby Aspirin
    Vitamin A
    Folic Acid
    1700mg Metformin
    Robitussin
    Instead Cups
    Pre Seed
    Vitamin B-6
    Saw Palmetto
    False Unicorn Root
    Red Raspberry Leaf

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Thanks

Well, I'll just copy and paste the info for you....

CHASTE BERRY / VITEX (Latin name)
    This herb triggers the release of leutenizing hormone (LH) from the pituitary gland in the brain, which stimulates ovulation. Chaste berry, usually marketed under the name Vitex, comes in several forms and should be taken for at least four cycles to determine efficacy.

Chaste berry is mostly used to promote fertility and to alleviate symptoms of pre-menstrual syndrome (PMS). In one study, 45 women ages 23-39 who were diagnosed with infertility took chaste berry once daily for three months. Thirty-nine of them became pregnant. The most-quoted studies were conducted in Germany and involved more than 1,500 women participants. Physicians and patients both reported 90% relief from PMS symptoms after taking chaste berry for one month.

Chaste berry is also used for menstrual regulation, cramps, premenstrual acne, hormonal balancing, and vaginal dryness. Side effects include minor gastrointestinal upset and a mild rash with itching. Pregnant women are not advised to use this herb.

Vitex is sometimes used as an herbal treatment for infertility—particularly in cases with established luteal phase defect (shortened second half of the menstrual cycle) and high prolactin levels. In one study, forty-eight women diagnosed with infertility (ages twenty-three to thirty-nine) took vitex ONCE daily for three months.21 Forty-five women completed the study, with successful treatment reported in thirty-nine women. Seven women became pregnant during the study, while in twenty-five of the women, progesterone levels normalized—which may increase the chances for pregnancy. Many doctors of natural medicine recommend taking 40 drops of a liquid extract of vitex each morning with some liquid. Encapsulated powdered vitex provides a similar amount of the product, with one capsule taken in the morning.

ONCE
    Kenya(28) Rece(27)
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

TTC history since TTC#2
    11 m/c and 1 ectopic

Hidden Content
    Currently Taking
    Prenatals
    Evening Primrose Oil
    Baby Aspirin
    Vitamin A
    Folic Acid
    1700mg Metformin
    Robitussin
    Instead Cups
    Pre Seed
    Vitamin B-6
    Saw Palmetto
    False Unicorn Root
    Red Raspberry Leaf

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Thanks

I guess I'd better call my cousin and let her know cos she's taking the same dose (but for suspected endometriosis). I thought I was safe just following the instructions on the container......obviously not!!

I've just had LH/FSH and testosterone blood tests done last week and I go on Friday to see how they are. I wonder if that amount of Vitex could have skewed them......oops......hope not!

I'm gonna thank you ONE more time
    Andrea (29) Stuart (31)
    PCOS + Hypothyroid.

Thanks

u r most welcome.
    Kenya(28) Rece(27)
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

TTC history since TTC#2
    11 m/c and 1 ectopic

Hidden Content
    Currently Taking
    Prenatals
    Evening Primrose Oil
    Baby Aspirin
    Vitamin A
    Folic Acid
    1700mg Metformin
    Robitussin
    Instead Cups
    Pre Seed
    Vitamin B-6