Thanks

Default Weight Watchers vs. Low Carb?

Hello Ladies,

I was thinking about this while getting ready for work this morning and thought I would throw it out there for some feedback.

Do you think that it is the weight loss in general that helps with PCOS or is it the low carb way of eating?

I noticed a lot of women doing the low carb thing and was wondering if I should jump on that train, I am currently on my second week of WW and feeling really good about it.

Thanks for the feedback!!

Happy Wife Mama Runner naturaljoy's Avatar
    Thanks

I should preface this by saying - I am NOT IR and I have virtually no PCOS symptoms (other than annovulation and resulting infertility). Other than post-partum, I have never had a problem with weight.

Okay, got that out of the way . I did NOT like low-carbing. I felt truly awful on it. Dizzy and yucky. I LOVED WW. My problem was portion control. Namely during pg and nursing I ate like a cow and had a hard time stopping when it was time to stop. WW really really helped me with that. It's such a sensible program, teaching you about good food choices, but still including everything so you never feel deprived.

So, if you like it and it works for you, then I think WW is fantastic and I recommend it to anyone that will listen! But that said, there are a lot of cysters that do not have success with WW because of the carb issue. Some cysters really need to keep their insulin in check better and for them, low-carbing is the way to go, especially if it's sensible like the IR diet. So to answer your question, I think it varies by cyster whether it's the diet you are on or just losing the weight that makes you healthier.

WW does have a new CORE program that is lower carb. And of course even on the traditional WW Flex Pts program, you can simply choose whole grain, low carb foods over refined carbs. You can choose more protein and skip pasta. That's the greatest thing about WW.

I lost almost 35lbs FAST on WW and I've kept if off for several mos now with no problems. The water is essential, portion control is good for all of us to learn, and exercise helps you earn more food points. Ya can't go wrong with it!

Joy
    Joy
    Running Mama to Three Crazy Kids: Sam/8, Sara/5, Katy/5

Thanks

Naturaljoy,

Thank you so much for your feedback! This was the information I was looking for.

Congratulations on your weight loss!! I do love WW and it works for me so I think I will stick with it and just try to cut down on my carbs a bit.

Thanks

One thing I want to add.

I tried WW, and I lost nothing well 10 lbs, but it flucuated a lot! I followed it stringently and I could not budge past those 10 lbs.

Here I am into my 3rd month on the IR diet and I am already down close to the 30 lb mark. I still have 120 to go, but it's the most weight I have lost on any diet thus far. I think that my body does not process the carbs right. So even though I was following the WW points, I still had a lot of carbs. IR diet is not a no-carb diet, it's a balancing thing. 2 basic rule of thumbs. For every 15 grams of carbs, I must have at least 7 grams of protein. No carbs within 2 hours of the last meal. Protein and Veggies are acceptable.

Honestly I don't feel like I am missing anything. Sugar free candies and desserts taste just as yummy as the real thing.
    ~Bubbles

150*********140*********130*********120** Hidden Content *******110
    *********100*********90*********80*********70***** ****60*********50*********40*********30********
    *20*********10*********GOAL!!!!

Starting Weight 297, Goal Weight 150

IR Diet starting at 8/1/04

Proverbs 3:5-6
    Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him and He will direct your paths.

Subscribe to Christians-with-PCOS